Each year, the New Zealand Forest Owners Association, in conjunction with the Ministry for Primary Industries, publishes a highly informative overview of the performance of the New Zealand Plantation Forest Industry, called Facts & Figures.
The 2017/2018 edition of Facts & Figures is available in electronic format only, free to download and read. The next issue is expected later in 2019.
- 1,706,429 ha is the estimated net stocked are at 1 April 2017 – an increase of 1,682 ha from 2016
- A record 35.4 million cubic metres of timber was harvested in the year 2018, up 10% on the previous year – volumes expected to be high for the next decade
- $6.38 billion was the export value of forest products to June 2018 – $3.3b of logs and $3b of other forest products
- MPI anticipates that in the year to June 2019 returns from New Zealand forest product exports will be $6.66b – ahead of returns from beef and sheep meat combined and horticulture
- $3.55 billion is the total contribution of the forest industry to NZ’s GDP – $1.39b from forestry and logging, and $2.16b from downstream activity (since this edition was published, total contribution has been revised to around $5 billion)
Visit the Facts & Figures page of the Forest Owners Association website for previous editions.