Each year, the New Zealand Forest Owners Association, in conjunction with the Ministry for Primary Industries, publishes a highly informative overview of the performance of the New Zealand Plantation Forest Industry, called Facts & Figures.
The 2018/2019 edition of Facts & Figures is available and free to download and read.
- 1,725,476 is the estimated net stocked are at 1 April 2018 – an increase of 19,047 ha from 1 April 2017
- Another record harvest of 37 million cubic metres was achieved in the year ended March 2019
- $6.93 billion was the export value to June 2019 – $3.85b of logs and $3.08b of other forest products
- MPI anticipates that the value of forest product exports will be $7b in 2022
- $3.55 billion is the total contribution of the forest industry to NZ’s GDP – $1.39b from forestry and logging, and $2.16b from downstream activity
Visit the Facts & Figures page of the Forest Owners Association website for previous editions.