Facts & Figures is a yearly summary of the state of New Zealand’s forestry sector, including production figures, data on exports, training, health and safety, carbon capture and log prices. It is published each year by the New Zealand Forest Owners Association in conjunction with the Ministry for Primary Industries. The latest edition includes selected worldwide forest information produced every five years by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations.
- 1.697 million hectares is the estimated net stocked plantation forest area at 1 April 2019 – a decrease of 9,918 ha at 1 April 2018
- In 2019, a record 35.9 million cubic metres was harvested from NZ forests, up 1% from the 2018 calendar year (35.7 million m3)
- $6.32 billion was the value of all forestry exports to December 2019 – of this, $3.45 billion of export revenue for the year was from logs
- MPI predicts the value of forest product exports will fall in 2020 behind that of horticulture for the first time
- MPI anticipates that the value of forest product exports will have fallen to $6.3 billion in 2024, from a high of $6.96 billion to June 2019
Visit the Facts & Figures page of the Forest Owners Association website for previous editions.