Who can invest
Our 6,600+ investors are of all ages and from all walks of life. Only by investing directly in the ownership of land and trees via a Forest Enterprises investment do you fully participate in the success of New Zealand’s forestry sector.
- May be an individual
- May be a legal entity recognised in New Zealand – a company, a trust or a partnership
- Must be at least 18 years old (ie not a minor)
- Must have a New Zealand IRD number and a New Zealand bank account
- May be a New Zealander or an overseas investor
- Overseas Persons (investors who are not New Zealand citizens and who are not resident in New Zealand) must apply for permission to invest
- Resident non-New Zealanders may invest
- New Zealand investors may be non-resident, and we provide additional information about the legal and tax implications on non-residents
- gathering information about customer identity, and
- verifying a customer’s identity, to ensure the customer is who they say they are.
We are also required to gather this information from existing investors who are investing in a new forest.
Learn more about what is required and why.
The Overseas Investment Act 2005 defines an Overseas Person as an individual who is neither a New Zealand citizen nor ordinarily resident in New Zealand.
Overseas persons can invest provided no more than 25% of the forestry investment is held by overseas persons. Any application by an overseas person to purchase Forest Enterprises shares must be made to the Directors of the General Partner of the investment for permission to invest.
More information for overseas investors.
What our investors think
There are good reasons why our investors chose a Forest Enterprises forest investment:
- It’s a perfect part of a retirement plan – forestry delivers a lump sum at the time of retirement
- Forestry makes great sense as an investment – participate in the success of an important sector of the economy; as a bonus, it’s tax deductible
- It’s a great way to start some serious saving – forestry is different from traditional investment products; as well as being profitable, its great for the economy and the environemtn
- Superannuation backstop – forestry investment provides that additional financial security for a long and active retirement
- A legacy for the family – the returns from forestry investment can help provide a great start in life for the next generation, such as paying for education or a deposit on a first home